I want to add a bedroom/addition to my house. What is required?

The Health Department, through our office records, will help you determine if your existing septic system is large enough to accommodate your proposed renovations, in addition to meeting the required setbacks. Our office will also determine if your house lot is located within the Town of Yarmouth Zone II Areas of Wellhead Contribution. In general, properties located within this Zone II are limited to 1 bedroom per 10,000 square feet of land area. For example, a vacant lot of 20,000 square feet that is located within the Zone II is limited to 2 bedrooms with the installation of a standard Title V septic system. If your existing house and lot do not meet the minimum standard, you may be required to record a Deed Restriction on your property deed, which limits the total number of bedrooms, at the Barnstable County Registry of Deeds. Don’t forget to check with the Building Department at (508) 398-2231 ext. 261 to address any zoning issues.

MassDEP Zone II Areas of Wellhead Contribution

Show All Answers

1. Are shed permits required?
2. Do all swimming pools need fences?
3. I want to add a bedroom/addition to my house. What is required?
4. My septic has failed; what do I do?
5. Where is my septic system?
6. When is a Building Permit required?
7. Do I need a Plot Plan as part of my building application?
8. How long are permits good for?
9. What about the issuance of plumbing, gas or wiring permits?