Why do I need a Special Permit or Variance?

The most common reason why you need a Special Permit is that the proposed structure or altered structure does not meet setback requirements in the Zoning Bylaw. So, you may need "relief from the bylaw" in the form of a Special Permit or Variance. Typically, the Building Department refers you to the Zoning Board of Appeals when you apply for a building permit. Learn more about requirements for a Special Permit or Variance in the Zoning Bylaw.

Show All Answers

1. What happens after I file an application?
2. I received a hearing notification. What should I do?
3. What happens at the public hearing?
4. What happens after the Board reaches a decision?
5. What if I'm not happy with the Board's decision?
6. What's the difference between a Special Permit and a Variance?
7. Why do I need a Special Permit or Variance?
8. How long does it take to get a Special Permit or Variance?