Recycling And Solid Waste Advisory Committee
Recycling Tips and Reminders
Yarmouth’s Recycling and Solid Waste Advisory Committee
- Confused about what can and can’t be recycled at the Yarmouth Disposal Area? This new easy-to-use website, Recycling Rules Yarmouth has the answers. It also contains basic information about hours, recycling tips, and more.
- Food waste can now be collected at the Disposal Area. Separate all your food waste, including vegetables, meat, fish, shells, and bones, at home and deposit it in the green bins near the Waste Oil container.
- All textiles are now banned from the trash. Textiles include clothing, rags, sheets, curtains, etc. Please recycle them in containers at the Disposal Area or one of the DY schools.
- Please prevent unintentional litter by bagging all trash and covering all truckloads.
- Single use plastic bags have been prohibited from being used by retail businesses since August 2018. Full details can be found here.
- Beverages in single use plastic containers, including water, juice, soda, etc., cannot be sold by the Town or on Town owned property since January 2022. Full details can be found here.
- Beginning in June of 2023, polystyrene (Styrofoam) takeout food containers are prohibited from use by retail businesses. The details can be found here.
- Beginning in January of 2024, commercial retailers can no longer sell single-use disposable water bottles. For more details, see the proposed bylaw passed at the April 2023 Town Meeting, Article 35.
- Beginning in September of 2024, single-use plastic food containers and utensils will be prohibited for use by commercial establishments. For more information, see the proposed bylaw passed at the April 2023 Town Meeting, Article 34.
The committee is state-mandated. It's charge is to study disposal and recycling methods and costs, and make recommendations to the Board of Selectmen. Click here to find meeting minutes and agendas.
|Members:||Five to seven|
|Term:||Three years; alternates one year.|
|Legal basis:||ATM 1979, Article 49|
|Monthly virtual meetings:||Second Wednesday, 8:30 A.M. to 10:00 A.M.|
|Staff Liaison||Assistant Public Works Director, Roby Whitehouse|